Ordinance Text in Full:
Sec. 5-102. Keeping of Pit Bull dogs prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, own or in any way possess within the corporate limits of the City of Cameron, Missouri any Pit Bull dog, provided that Pit Bull dogs may be kept within the city subject to the standards and requirements hereinafter set forth. "Pit Bull dog" is defined to mean:
(1) The Bull Terrier breed of dog;
(2) Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog;
(3) The American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog;
(4) The American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog;
(5) Dogs of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull Terrier;
(6) Any dog which has the appearance and characteristic of being predominately of the breeds of Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier; any other breed commonly known as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull Terriers or a combination of any of these breeds.
(b) Pit Bull dogs residing in the city at the time of the passage of this section [Ordinance Number 3915] may be kept by their owners within the city, subject to the following standards:
(1) Registration. Pit bull dogs residing in the city at the time of passage of this section must be registered with the city by the owner(s) within ten (10) days of the passage of the ordinance from which this section derives.
(2) Confinement. All Pit Bull dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel, except when leashed and muzzled as hereafter provided. Such pen, kennel or structure must have secured sides and a secured top attached to sides. All structures used to confine Pit Bull dogs must be locked with a key or combination lock when such animal(s) are within the structure. Such structure must have a secure bottom or floor attached to the sides of the pen or kennel or the sides of the pen or kennel must be imbedded in the ground no less than two (2) feet. All structures erected to house Pit Bull dogs must comply with all zoning and building regulations of the city. All such structures must be adequately lighted and ventilated and kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
(3) Leash and muzzle. No person shall permit a Pit Bull dog to go outdoors or outside its kennel or pen unless such dog is securely leashed with a leash no longer than four (4) feet in length. No person shall permit a Pit Bull dog to be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outdoors or outside its kennel or pen unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, buildings, etc. In addition, all Pit Bull dogs on a leash outdoors or outside the animal's pen or kennel must be muzzled by a muzzling device sufficient to prevent such dog from biting persons or other animals.
(4) Confinement indoors. No Pit Bull dog may be kept on a porch, patio or in any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own volition. In addition, no such animal may be kept in a house or structure when the windows are open or when screen windows or screen doors are the only obstacle preventing the dog from exiting the structure.
(5) Signs. All owners, keepers or harborers of Pit Bull dogs within the city shall within ten (10) days of the passage of this section display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the words "Beware of Dog--Pit Bull." In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the kennel or pen of such animal.
(6) Insurance. All owners, keepers or harborers of Pit Bull dogs must within ten (10) days of the passage of this section provide proof to the city of public liability insurance in a single incident amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) for bodily injury to or death of any person or persons or for damaged property owned by any persons which may result from the ownership, keeping or maintenance of such animal. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be made unless ten (10) days written notice is first given to the city.
(7) Identification photographs. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered Pit Bull dogs must within ten (10) days of their registration provide to the code enforcement officer of the city two (2) color photographs (two (2) different poses) of the animal clearly showing the color and approximate size of the animal.
(8) Reporting requirement. All owners, keepers, or harborers of Pit Bull dogs must within ten (10) days of the incident, report the following information in writing to the code enforcement officer as required hereinafter:
a. The removal from the city or the death of a Pit Bull dog;
b. The birth of offspring of a Pit Bull dog;
c. The new address of a Pit Bull dog owner should the owner move within the corporate city limits.
(9) Sale or transfer of ownership prohibited. No person shall sell, barter or in any other way dispose of a Pit Bull dog registered within the city to any person within the city unless the recipient resides permanently in the same household and on the same premises as the registered owner of Pit Bull dog may sell or otherwise dispose of Pit Bull dog or the offspring of such dog to such persons who do not reside within the corporate limits of the city.
(10) Animals born of pit bull dogs. All offspring born of Pit Bull dogs registered within the city must be removed from the city within six (6) weeks of the birth of such animal.
(c) There shall be an irrebuttable presumption that any dog registered within the city as a Pit Bull dog or any of those breeds prohibited by this section is in fact a dog subject to the requirements of this section.
(d) Any dog found to be the subject of a violation of this section shall be subject to immediate seizure and impoundment. Any Pit Bull dog impounded under the provisions of this section and not relocated outside the corporate limits of the City of Cameron within five (5) days may be humanely destroyed by the city. In addition, failure of an owner to comply with the provisions of subsection (b) of this section will result in the revocation of the license of such animal resulting in the immediate removal of the animal from the city.
(Ord. No. 3915, 10-3-89)